Friday, March 30, 2012

The Road to Athens, Well, Actually, Just a Road in Athens, But, You Know

Ran the same 7+mile loop yesterday -- I'm gonna call it the Cable Lane loop from now on. Ran it in the opposite direction than I normally run, which means that I got to apply the Jackson Principle -- uphill first. On the other hand, because the bike trail is below us, I still got to end on an uphill.

I decided to run at what I'm guessing is my half-marathon pace, something close to 8:30 miles, and add in some half-mile repeats where possible. For the first (25:05) minutes, it was mostly guess work, but then, on the bike trail, I had half-mile markers to help me. At which point, I ran (3:34), (4:03), (3:42), (4:25 (water fountain)), (3:37), (4:07), and (3:36) -- then (7:54) uphill to home. Total: 1:00.07. I wanted to get in under an hour, and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for that meddling water fountain.

At any rate, I'll know more about my half-marathon pace by this time Sunday after I run my first Athens Half Marathon. I'll take it mostly short and easy today and tomorrow. On Sunday, I hope to finish the 13.1 mile race. I suppose a high-end goal would be (1:45.00), which is close to an 8:00-minute pace. If I do that, I suppose, my next goal will be to take down Ryan Hall's American record (59:43). So if anybody out there knows Ryan Hall, tell him to kiss his record bye-bye.

I might have to up my mileage, improve my diet, and grow a few more legs, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment