Monday, March 5, 2012

Not As I Do

Thursday: Off. I'm easing back into this.

*     *     *

Friday: I ran about four miles today (42:12) nice and easy. I enjoyed the fresh air, thought nice thoughts about the world.

*     *     *

Saturday: Off. I feel good, but why do anything stupid?

*     *     *

Sunday: Took the crapradoodle down to the grocery to get some Parmesan for the asparagus. As usual, she's very popular with all of the folks who don't have to clean her poop. Took a circuitous route home. About three miles (32:15).


Monday: Ran my 3.4 mile maintenance loop (28.02) fairly hard -- in fact, that's on of my best times on the loop -- for no good reason except I felt pretty well.

Also, this:
 My friend Ben pops marathons like I pop peanuts--no lie, as they say in the Midwest. He's had injuries far worse than a twitching knee. During one run, I told him I was babying myself so I wouldn't have to sideline running completely.
"Sideline running completely, are you insane?" he said. "Because of an injury?!" If Ben ever lost his legs, he'd run on his hands, I'm sure of it. "Bodies heal!" he said. "They can take a hell of a long time, but they don't stay broken forever!" (Runner's World March 2012) 
 I took this passage from Marc Parent's article called "The Painful Truth" in the recent issue. Finally! Somebody who speaks my mind: run like hell, even when you're hurt -- and now I feel like a dope for taking off most of February.

On the other hand, I'm kind of misrepresenting what some stranger claims his friend does while he's injured to whatever extent he's injured. Really, what he said is don't take time off completely. I'm presenting his argument as though he's saying push your body to its limits everyday.

Also, this: William James, 19th century philosopher (and brother of Henry James) said: Too often what we call research is simply finding information that agrees with our current position. Yes, that's what I'm doing.

In truth, I should have taken it much easier today. The idea here is to make a complete recovery, not recover well enough to injure myself again. I promise I'll be smarter in the future.*

*     *     *

*Not likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment