Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Back on the Road

Dragged the crapradoodle around the 3.4 mile loop (35:27) today, and crap she did: she hasn't lost her touch. First run since, well, let's just get this part out of the way up front:


February 01                
Wednesday: 16.0
Thursday: -----
Friday: 4.0
Saturday: 4.0
(Week 37.4)               
February 05                
Sunday: 9.9
Monday: 4.0
Tuesday: 4.0
Wednesday:-----
Thursday:------
Friday:-----
Saturday:-----
(Week 13.9)               
February 12                
Sunday: -----
Monday:-----
Tuesday:-----
Wednesday:-----
Thursday:-----
Friday:-----
Saturday:-----
(Week-----)                 
February 19                
Sunday:-----
Monday:-----
Tuesday:-----
Wednesday:-----
Thursday:-----
Friday:-----
Saturday:-----
(Week-----)                 
February 26                
Sunday:-----
Monday:-----
Tuesday:-----
Wednesday: 3.4
February: 45.1 miles
Year To Date: 175.7 miles.

Running Days: 29
Days off: 28

I have not been a pleasure to live with for the past three weeks. Turns out running is such an integral part of my life that when I'm not getting out, I get kind of miserable. Not downtrodden or desperate, I don't suppose, but I have definitely felt grumpy for the past month.

*     *     *

In other news, here's a picture of my spouse's foot:






She calls it her zombie ankle, but I wouldn't suggest walking on it, even if you are a zombie.


And, here's further proof that she is a better human being than I: she injured her ankle on Sunday during a roller derby practice. She rested, iced, compressed, and elevated her foot immediately and for the next two days. She took arnica and brionia to help heal her connective tissue and reduce swelling. She was thoughtful about her movement and took care to not inflict additional damage. Today she started doing lunges and squats again. She walked cautiously but normally on it. She took care to continue in the healing process.

Me, when I got hurt, I whined about it, got sullen, and used my newly found time to eat more. I did not one time, during my convalescence, go to the gym to lift weights or go for a bike ride or do yoga on the Wii. Clearly, there are any number of things I could have done to help recover more quickly, but, I've said it before, I can be a bit of a jerk when it comes to my own health -- I think it's very human of me to behave this way, if it makes you all feel any better.

*     *     *

Today's run, by the way, was tender. I tried to run thoughtfully, but was afraid I would put too much pressure on the muscles in my lower back. So I tried to run casually, but was afraid I would slip and fall and injure my back even worse. In this regard, I should have stayed home, so I wouldn't be caught up in lousy paradoxes. But, really, I settled into the slowest pace I could muster and the world felt great. Within a quarter mile, I started making plans to run an ultramarathon or a thousand mile race or from here to the moon (metaphorically).

We'll see how my back feels tomorrow. For today, I'm just very happy to be a touch sweaty again. The rest of the family is withholding their opinion about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment