Thursday, December 22, 2011

2nd Half a Long Run

And there's the second half of my run. I avoided the treadmill this evening by promising myself to run this morning's loop backwards. This time I ran the 7.5 a touch slower (1:10:57), but I also added a couple of small stretches to avoid muddy stretches. I'm gonna guess I ran nearly the same pace.

This is the first time I've split a long run in two, and it was a great. Had I waited until this evening to run 15 miles, I'm almost certain I would have turned back early or only completed one loop. Had I tried 15 miles this morning, I would guess I would have been wiped out for the rest of my world after a two-and-a-half-hour workout.

I'm glad I avoided the gym again, too. We are having exceptionally warm 22 December weather -- it's terribly rainy, and, yet, still not so cold that a long-sleeve teeshirt doesn't keep me warm . . . too many double negatives: one long sleeve=warm Jackson today.

I've heard splitting the long run over the course of a day is an effective way to complete such a run. I don't know how the benefits are going to pay out, but I can say this: I'm definitely as sore as I would be had I run 15 in a row.

Post Script: I heard the geese at one point, though it was too dark to see them. I don't know what buzzards sound like. I'm afraid my scavengers have been vanquished . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment