Friday, December 16, 2011

On Hitting the Gym

Maintenance: bleh! As if a half hour run at a nine-minute pace isn't an awful enough experience, I did it today . . .

. . . on a treadmill -- it was awful . . . and very rewarding.

I didn't get time in the morning. I didn't have time in the afternoon. It got dark. It got cold. I had time to run while my kids was bowling, so I hit the gym. I ran for a time: 30 minutes and at a 6.8 mph pace -- that's one thing I love about treadmills: they keep track of my time, my distance. Sometimes I expect them to say, "You're doing great. Keep it up." But they do not do that, yet.

 I also don't like running on public display -- in the fishbowl of a community rec center, but it was safer and more climate controlled than the world, so I took advantage of our family membership.

Am I sounding whiney? I am. I should try harder not to be whiney. I will do that.

After my half-hour run, I borrowed a basketball from the front desk and shot hoops for a half hour. I haven't played since last December, so now I am in pain, but it's a decent kind of pain, one might even say a good kind of pain.

So tomorrow's another maintenance day, then I'll do some sort of speed or hill workout on Sunday.

I think I'm going to have to run earlier in the day, even if it's only so I can blog earlier -- at this point, I'm sleepier than I am interested in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment