Monday, December 19, 2011

Yesterday's Absence

Yesterday was just too much for me, which means that I missed an intense workout.

I should have done a hill or speed workout, but between holiday shopping, house cleaning, and taking the girls ice skating, there was no time. Not to mention the fact that I fell asleep at 6:30 p.m. last night -- it was simply too much.

All of which means I have to bump yesterday's run to today, which is not an enormous deal. I suppose what's much more critical than missing a day of running is how one makes up for it. As a folk with extreme personalities, I have, in the past, done ridiculous things:

Some days when I miss a run, I eat three dinners and multiple desserts. I don't know whether this is some sort of punishment my brain dishes out to my body or vice versa, or if I simply decide I'm on vacation, and what happens to my body on vacation, stays on vacation. I really don't know, but I end up mad at myself, kicking (metaphorically) myself, and sometimes go into a week-long slump of binge eating and skipping my runs. This process is a bad idea.

Often, equally bad, sometimes, when I miss a run, I follow up the next day by trying to double up somehow. Sometimes, I'll run yesterday's maintenance run in the morning, then do the intense workout in the evening -- this is an awful idea, because my evening run is usually poopy, but I push through anyway to have a poopy run, followed by a day or two of fatigue. Or I incorporate both runs together: I'll run three miles from my house to do a hill workout, run too hard, feel awful coming home, and feel terrible the next day and take more time off.

I'm gonna try something different today, and simply run the workout that I skipped yesterday. That way, I'm set back a day in my training, but since I'm not training for anything . . . I suppose I'll live with it. I'll update this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment