Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Connor Principle of Running

If I ever wrote a running book, it would be a companion piece to The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet. I would call it The Misanthropy of Eyeore. Look: forty degrees Farenheit and drizzly, another maintenance run, perhaps the tenth time I've run before noon (I hate that, too) since 1994 -- I didn't like any of you half an hour ago . . .

But, now, of course, I feel great. My feet are chilly, but my running chemicals kicked in. Sidebar: I figured out their name -- their called Midi-chlorians, I think. I ran another 3.4. This time out and back. Front: 15:52. Back 14:42. Total: 30:34 The negative split is more about planning than about running. Ever hear of the Premack Principle? (Ha! What did you all think I was doing during that year as a secondary education major, just googing off?)

There are better ways to define it, but basically this: if you have a chore and a reward, do the chore first, and your life will be more pleasant. So my negative split on this particular fun is the result of running uphill on the way out and downhill on the way back. We'll call it the Connor Principle of running. Besides the psychological effects of knowing that "it's all downhill from here," I believe that it's important to warm up my muscles with the shorter uphill strides before turning them loose on the downhill. I suppose I could stretch out before I run, but that ain't likely to happen. If I have to started stretching out, I'll probably just learn to swim instead.

Alright, I'll admit it, too, though I hate running in the a.m., I feel more ready to tackle my day than I did a bit ago. I'm actually looking forward to my walk to work. I guess it wasn't that bad of an idea to run in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment