Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Did I Just Enjoy a Maintenance Run?

I ran my 3.4 mile maintenance loop (28:58) last night, unburdened by dog, burdening no dog. It was warm enough to run in shorts, but not much warmer. I can't remember feeling so good on my least-favorite of runs. I was sore from the day before's hill workout, but I felt smooth and strong. My pace was faster than usual, but I didn't feel as though I were pushing harder. I ran a few short (~minute~) uptempos, and they felt good. I'm believing more every day in the sustained, consistent effort.

I've been a fan of running three quality workouts every ten days for years, but have often found myself skipping the days in between, because I'm too busy. That also allows me to push the quality workout back a day, such that soon I'm running a 14, 15, 20 day cycle. Not only was I seeing no gains, I was barely able to maintain. Though I wanted to run a 5K, a 10K, a half marathon, I never knew from week to week what kind of shape I'd be in -- and the fluctuations were severe.

For a little over a month now, I've maintained. I've missed a couple of days, but, truthfully, no many, and I feel more like a runner than I have since, well, high school. I am going to run some races in the spring, I'm sure of that, but, again, that's never been the goal . . . the running is the goal, getting out there everyday is the goal, fulfilling my daily obligations is my goal. If I shed a few pounds, that's good. If I drop a few seconds from my race results, that's fine, too.

*     *     *

Meanwhile, a friend posted an article from Runner's World on facebook yesterday. I love that magazine. I subscribed for two years. I don't read the journal word for word, but it's really great to have a community of like-minded folks vindicating your efforts, even if they'll never meet you.



Eleven Day Tally
Saturday: 3.4
Sunday: ------
Monday: 8.4
Tuesday: 3.4
Wednesday: 3.4
Thursday: ~13.0
Friday: ------
Saturday: 3.4
Sunday: 3.4
Monday: 7.0


Tuesday: 3.4



Previous: 64.3

Year To Date: 67.7 miles.

Running Days: 12
Days off: 5

Tonight another maintenance run: I'll probably take the dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment