Monday, January 9, 2012

First Mile Repeats of 2012

I ran about 21:00 minutes to the rec center, so I could run mile repeats on the treadmill. It was too cold and dark, I felt, to run on the bike trail. Worried about injury, I ran to the rec center (21:00 minutes) in order to run three one-mile repeats.

Small diet tip today for anybody paying attention: Think ahead at lunch time. When you go back for your third plateful at the Indian buffet, maybe only fill it halfway. I didn't think ahead about it, and now we're all paying the price.

At the gym, I ran a 9.3 mph pace which put me real close to a (6:30) mile. I ran slowly until 10:00 minutes. Ran another (6:30) mile, slowly until 20:00, (6:30) mile, 30 seconds at (5 minute/mile pace), then slowly until I got 4.0 miles total. I know it's a treadmill, so it's something like cheating, but that's the pace I'm shooting for on a 5K. If I can maintain that pace, I'll hit 20:00 even.

I've been avoiding making goals explicitly, but a 20 minute 5K has been on my mind for, well, fifteen years, since the last time I got in under twenty. Of course, shortly after then, I took up smoking cigarettes and acting melancholy, so the dream kind of faded. Well, I'm healthier now, though still occasionally glum, and I suppose 20 minutes, as Cool Hand Luke once said, "It just seemed like a nice round number."*

I ran 22:30 on the way home, including (4:07) up Lancaster.

Friday: 7.5
Saturday: 3.4
Sunday: ------
Monday: 8.4
Previous: 22.3

Year To Date: 30.7 miles.
Running Days: 5
Days off: 4

*Yes, I really did compare myself to Cool Hand Luke. Let's all take a deep breath, and step away from the blog before somebody gets hurt. More specifically, before someone hurts me.

No comments:

Post a Comment