Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Three Day Post: Off, Too Much Maintenance, Other Stuff

In his book, On Writing, Stephen King writes:
I used to tell interviewers that I wrote every day except for Christmas, the Fourth of July, and my birthday. That was a lie. I told them that because if you agree to an interview you have to say something, and it plays better if it's something at least half-clever. Also, I didn't want to sound like a workaholic dweeb (just a workaholic, I guess). The truth is that when I'm writing, I write every day, workaholic dweeb or not. That includes Christmas, the Fourth, and my birthday. . . . And when I'm not working, I'm not working at all, although during those periods of full stop I usually feel at loose ends with myself and have trouble sleeping.
I took Monday off, because I had scheduled Monday off, because I always take the day after a long run off, because Runners' World magazine has always told me the most important workout of the week is the day you take off. But I didn't like it.

That is another thing that has happened in keeping this journal: by keeping track of what I'm doing, I miss running when it's not around. It was probably wise to take a day off -- 15.3 miles is my longest run since May? (I think) and probably the second or third longest of my life -- a day off seems more than reasonable. But the commitment to run has become a lifestyle. I feel the urge to get out there every day, even when I've already determined to take a day off.

Which, I suppose, makes the day off all the more necessary: to remind me how important the run is each day.

The consistency which this journal has inspired in me has also lead to a healthier lifestyle at large. I'm not drinking as much. I'm eating more veggies and smaller portions. (Let me be clear about this: I have never much believed in moderation, and I hate to find a Tupperware for food if there's only a few more bites . . . I'm an eater. I'm a drinker.) My intent, in running, is not to shed pounds. Truly, it's not. Nor am I at any risk of wasting away to nothing (I think according to the standard Body Mass Index chart, I'm still twenty pounds overweight)*. But a healthy lifestyle encourages a healthy lifestyle.

I remember a similar experience in college. I watched as my peers, daily, skip classes according to how important they deemed each session, and watched as they struggled with homework or failed tests accordingly. I, on the other hand (okay, I'm self-aggrandizing, but, recognize, I also acknowledge the dweebiness of my self-aggrandizement), went to every class. I was never a great student for a number of reasons, but I always did all the work -- I mean (the dweebiness should reach maximum capacity by the end of this sentence, then return to regular levels for the next paragraph), if I'm gonna spend all that time in class, I might as well do the homework, right?

I'm still gonna eat ice cream from time to time. I'm not giving up an occasional beer. But if I'm gonna go out into the world nine out of ten days, I might as well hold off on thirds this evening . . . unless I really want them.

*     *     *

Tuesday: I ran maintenance on the treadmill, while my daughter had basketball practice at the rec center. My maintenance pace is still 6.7 mph (8:57 minutes per mile), and that feels fine. My maintenance runs are typically around 3.5 miles. Today, I ran my maintenance pace, but added in four quarter mile repeats at increasing intensity. I don't know why . . . probably because I felt stupidly good, so good I felt young again, I guess, young enough to be stupid.

It was a bad idea, but I ended up running 5.1 miles (42:00) and feeling pretty good about it. There is something awful in store for anybody whose bad ideas begin working out. Remind me to watch my ass in coming weeks.

*     *     *

Tonight: maintenance. I'll take the crapradoodle with me to insure a reasonable pace. Oh, sure, because I love her, too, and think she deserves some exercise, too, or whatever.

Eleven Day Tally
Friday: ------
Saturday: 3.4
Sunday: 3.4
Monday: 7.0
Tuesday: 3.4
Wednesday: 3.4
Thursday: 8.0
Friday: 3.4
Saturday: 4.0
Sunday: 15.3
Monday: -----
Tuesday: 5.1

Previous:101.8 miles
Year To Date: 106.9 miles.

Running Days: 18
Days off: 6

*Is there a doctor in the Internet? I'm pretty freaking healthy, and, according to BMI, I'm borderline obese . . . what's up with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment