Monday, January 16, 2012

Lancaster III: And a Note on Stretching

Ran Lancaster Hill (.4 miles) eight times again. Didn't realize it had only been a week. I guess that means today was supposed to be a speed workout, but I ran hills in stead. My bad. First, results:

January 16: Times: (3:14), (2:57), (3:01), (2:53), (2:57), (2:51), (3:00), (2:52). Average: (2:58). Mean: (3:02) +/-12.

January 09: Times: (3:04), (3:11), (3:12), (3:03), (3:03), (2:57), (2:58), (2:59). Average: (3:03). Mean: (3:05) +/-8.

December 19: Times: (2:59), (3:09), (3:11), (3:00), (3:10), (3:00), (3:06), (2:57). Average: (3:02). Mean (3:05) +/-6.

Results first, because one of these things is not like the other ones . . .

If I have a goal on this run, it's not so much for a specific time (though, for right now, an average of 2:55 is near on the horizon I hope), but I would like to get my mean very close to my average, and have my pace +/-3. Also, I'm only vaguely confident that I'm using "mean" correctly. Maybe I'll look that up.

What did I do so wrong, so early, on today's splits? I had a long walk before my run, and thought I had a decent warmup, but, clearly, I needed something more before I started my hills. Maybe I'll throw in a few short bursts to my warmup for future runs.

Also, I started controlling my breathing much better as I went . . . the importance of good breathing can never be exaggerated.

I was still a touch sore from Thursday's long run, which might have been part of the problem: I might need to loosen up. Which implies stretching. I haven't stretched for, hell, eight years. And I have only one objection to stretching as a workout supplement and aid -- but it is, you'll agree, a very good objection: I don't wanna.

Can stretching be any boringer?

No, it cannot. If it got any less fun, we would just go ahead and cancel the Olympics, because nobody would join teams, because coaches who insist on stretching (aka: all coaches) can bite me, and by extension, bite us, by whom I mean everybody who would be weeping in their gym socks from boredom if stretching got boringer.

I suppose I'm begging for an injury by not stretching and running in the cold and running fairly hard. And, certainly, everybody will look very forward to tsk, tsking the hell out of me when I finally do pull something . . . well, shame on you: making fun of a guy who just pulled something. I guess we know who's the truly poor sport here: the maker-funners, not me. I just need a bag of ice. Well, at least, that's what we'll be like when the time comes.

Still, I've been thinking about it. Might help me run better if I'm limberer. Though my boredom tears are certain to slow me down. It's a classic catch 22.

Eleven Day Tally
Friday: 7.5
Saturday: 3.4
Sunday: ------
Monday: 8.4
Tuesday: 3.4
Wednesday: 3.4
Thursday: ~13.0
Friday: ------
Saturday: 3.4
Sunday: 3.4

Monday: 7.0

Previous: 57.3

Year To Date: 64.3 miles.

Running Days: 11
Days off: 5

Remind me to tell you what I've been thinking about marathons lately. Some other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment