Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Multitasking, Disappointment, and the Future of Running

Maintenance Loop (3.4 miles) pulled along by crapradoodle (35:25). I'm sore from yesterday's run, but it was good to get and cycle some of this caffeine out of my system.

Couple quick good things: my oldest offspring needed me to pick a phone charger up from his dorm to give to my # 2 offspring (sorry about the designation, Sam -- them's the brakes). His place is only about a tenth of a mile out of my run, so I made his dorm a stop on my way. I'm not always a fan of multitasking, but when I can eliminate a drive (even a short one) or do someone a favor (even a little one), while I'm out for a run (especially a maintenance one), it makes me feel good.

Second thing: we (big offspring and I) crossed our signals, and I couldn't find him at his dorm, so I had to deal with that minor disappointment. I have to admit, when that didn't pan out, there was some kind of impulse inside of me, saying, "Screw it. Just walk home." But I finished the loop, and feel better for it.

Otherwise it was a pretty uneventful run.

I have, however, been worrying myself about Thursday's run. Tuesday and Thursdays are my teaching days this quarter. This means I get up at six and prep, teach, conference, grade until five, then pick up the littlest offspring, help around the house, and pic, up spouse at 7:30. Thursday is scheduled to be the 10-day long run. I've been worrying about fitting in a 10-mile run, especially when I should be eating dinner. It's this sort of thing, though, that runners simply have to figure out, I suppose.

Well. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment